Nothing brings us more joy than knowing Ting has delivered on its promise of safety and peace of mind.
Here are a few real-life examples where Ting has made an impact on our customers’ lives.
It is scary to think that we had wires inside our wall that were arcing and could have started a fire at anytime. Ting identified the hazard and the Ting electrician was able to quickly come in and fix it. My wife and I are grateful that Ting helped keep our family safe. Matt C, Illinois USA
Ting identified arcing and notified the homeowner. No abnormal electrical activity had been observed by the homeowner. After the Ting Team dispatched an electrician, elevated temperatures were identified by an infrared camera - loose wiring and wire nut in the wall at an outlet were to blame. The hazard had been progressing for some time and creating heat inside the wall. Although the basement had been finished a few years earlier, there was no working smoke detector. A fire ignited by such a hazard could develop quickly into a major fire -before an upper floor smoke detector would have a chance to alarm – greatly impacting the family’s ability to exit the house safely, or at all. This was a truly latent (hidden) but very high-risk hazard.
This is a clear example of hidden electrical faults stemming from more recent electrical work on the home, even though the home was not old. While home age is a risk factor when it comes to electrical fires, electrical faults from more recent electrical, device and appliance changes can evolve into real hazards no matter the age of a structure.
Ting detected intermittent arcing occurring at times consistent with the arrival and departure of people in the home. The Ting support team was able to quickly isolate the hazard to a loose electrical connection in a garage door opener/light combination. The home and garage were more than 50 years old and the unit was installed on an exposed ceiling joist that could have caught fire easily. Once the connection was secured, the arcing and fire hazard were eliminated.
Garage door openers, especially ones that have served their purpose for many years, generate a fair amount of vibration with each use. This vibration can lead to loosening of otherwise secure wiring connections in the opener itself, or of the opener’s light bulbs in their sockets
The Ting Service Team contacted me because an electrical fire hazard had been identified in my home. Based on intelligence Ting had gathered, it took 10 short minutes to confirm that the hazard was in the ceiling fan/light in our baby's bedroom. After I purchased a new ceiling fan/light unit, the Ting Service Team promptly scheduled and electrician to remove the old unit and properly install the new unit at no additional cost to me. My family and I are very grateful that Ting prevented a potentially catastrophic fire in our home. Ben H, Illinois USA
Ting detected arcing signals which were intermittent and very weak to start but progressed in intensity over the course of two weeks. The potential hazard was tracked automatically by the Ting Monitoring System. The hazard was quickly isolated to a switch that controlled a ceiling fan which also housed a “light in the baby’s room”. This hazard could have escalated to produce a dangerous fire in one of the most important locations of a home - the baby’s room.
This is an all-too-common example of how older or unbalanced ceiling fans can develop unseen electrical faults. Even with this type of tiny and hidden arcing, ceiling fan lights may not flicker, and the fan may appear to operate normally. And because ceiling fans are ‘hard-wired’ to your home’s electrical system, these types of faults can lead to elevated fire hazards inside the ceiling/walls, and ultimately to a catastrophic fire.
Ting detected a device that was arcing – and could tell that it was periodically used, did not draw substantial power, and was likely on a switch circuit. Arcing was traced back to a loose light bulb in an outdoor floodlight socket, where it was observed that the light was flickering. The arcing was mitigated by tightening the bulb.
Bulbs that are not screwed in securely can arc in the socket and cause it to overheat and damage the housing - or worse - and lead to a fire. While not normally a major fire risk, this type of electrical fault can be common and is a strong example of identifying hazardous arcing and mitigating the hazard prior to any damage occurring.
I was very happy to learn that Ting identified the arcing from my failing sump pump. The team reached out to notify me of the issue. I was glad that it was not a fire hazard, and equally glad Ting helpe me avoid the potential of a flooded basement. Mike B, Wisconsin USA
Ting noticed periodic arcing and contacted the homeowner. Working with the homeowner the Ting team was able to quickly trace the fault to the sump pump in the basement, which was arcing when attempting to turn on. Given the pump was under water there was little risk of a fire from the hazard. The pump was failing. However, there were no outward signs of this condition. Given the recent heavy rains and seasonal wet weather a basement flood claim was avoided. The homeowner was thrilled Ting detected the early signs of failure – even though the Ting sensor was plugged into an outlet somewhere else in the house.
This is a great example of Ting seeing hidden faults from connected devices that might not be fire hazards but could very well cause damage or losses due to the failure of the device to operate as designed, or at all.
Ting identified significant arcing correlating with wet weather events. It was determined to be an outdoor outlet, which had experienced major charring (blackening). While the outlet was outdoors and did not present a significant fire hazard to the home structure, it still presented a shock hazard. There were no signs to the homeowner that this outlet was defective and presented such a hazard.
What was found is typical of electrical fire hazards that occur in inside or outside ceilings and walls where water leaks from internal plumbing issues or external rain infiltration can interact with wiring, wiring junctions or outlets.